What are my first responsibilities as a household employer?

You first need to get an EIN number and register yourself as a household employer. If you don’t already have one, Kindly Care will help take care of that for you!

You then have to give wage notice in writing. California’s Wage Theft Prevention Act requires all household employees be given a notice in writing at the time of hiring, with copies kept in the employer’s as well as the employee’s files, highlighting the following:

  • The employer’s name, residential address, and phone number, as well as the same information for their worker’s compensation insurance provider
  • A definition of the regular payday, and their hourly and overtime pay rates
  • A definition of the schedule of hours you expect your new employee to work (although this needs to be defined at the start, it is flexible and you can deviate from that schedule per employer/employee ongoing arrangements).

Choosing to work with Kindly Care means that we’ll take care of everything listed above!

Was this article helpful?
2 out of 2 found this helpful


Article is closed for comments.